Chickpea Bechamel Sauce
- small saucepan
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- ½ C Chickpea Flour (aka garbanzo flour)
- 3+3/4 C Plant Milk of Choice
- 3 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg
- Sift the chickpea flour to remove lumps.
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chickpea flour to the heated pan and whisk to prevent burning Heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk about 1/2 C of the milk, just enough to turn the flour and milk into a paste or a rue. Slowly add the remaining milk and continue whisking to prevent lumps from forming. Bring to a simmer over the medium heat and continue whisking. Continue cooking until the sauce reaches the consistency that you like for a sauce. This can take about 10 minutes if you like it a bit thicker.
- Remove the thickened sauce from the heat. Stir in the nutritional yeast, nutmeg and black pepper. Mix well.
- Your sauce is now ready to use!
This is a great versatile sauce that you can use for plant based lasagnas, pasta dishes or even as a pizza sauce! To lower the fat content or make it nut free, use soy milk, I love the fact that the flour is made from chickpeas, just chickpeas!