Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Parchment paper or Silicone Baking Mat
- Large Baking Sheet
- food processor
- 1 ¼ C Brown Rice Flour
- 1 C Chickpea (Garbanzo) Flour
- 1 TBSP Tapioca Starch
- 1 TBSP Baking Poweder (aluminum free preferred)
- ¾ C Plant Milk
- ½ C Applesauce, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Place all dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine well.
- Spread the breadcrumb "dough" onto the lined baking sheet. Spread the dough evenly in the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for about 15 minutes or until it is slightly golden on the edges and the top.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool completely. Once the dough is cooled, gently crumble it into medium pieces.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 °F
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Stir the crumbs about every 5 minutes to assure that the crumbles dry completely.
- Bake until the crumbles are crunchy and toasty.
- Remove the pan baking sheet from the oven and cool the crumbles completely.
- Using a food processor, add about 1/2 of all of the crumbles to the processor. Pulse and grind until the crumbles reach your desired breadcrumb consistency. Remove the breadcrumbs and repeat with the remaining crumbles.
- Store the completely cooled crumbs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- This recipe is freezer friendly and will stay fresh for about 6 months in an airtight container or freezer bag.
This is a great make ahead gluten free “bread” crumb recipe that can be refrigerated or frozen! Double or even triple the batch! It has a secret ingredient, applesauce! This recipe can be made nut free or soy free depending on the milk you use in the recipe. Use the crumbs in any recipe that calls for breadcrumbs!